Montefioralle, with its history, its medieval architecture, the alleys, the squares, the church of Santo Stefano, the walls and the Cassero, is a piece of that rich Italian heritage, made of history, culture, environment and traditions, worthy of enter the prestigious network of the association "The most beautiful villages in Italy". The ancient castle of Montefioralle, nestled in the heart of the Chianti region, has been recognized as a symbol of that hidden Italy, outside of the traditional circuits and flows, which deserves to be enhanced with a national operation of integrated tourism promotion. He is the president of the Association The most beautiful villages in Italy, Fiorello First, to communicate the good news with a letter that officially accepts the request for inclusion in the network put forward by the first citizen of Pavia, Paolo Sottani.
"It is an honor for us to be part of the network of the most beautiful villages in Italy," declares the mayor Paolo Sottani - association in which the village had been included for a period. The new registration to the Club was obtained after the City Council adopted a resolution with which the Municipality committed itself to resume the link with the network. From this year one of our three pearls, Montefioralle, which joins Panzano and Piazza Matteotti in Greve, finds itself at the center of the important objectives of a collective work that does not only want to protect and preserve the heritage of monuments and memory, which constitutes the mosaic of Italian typicality, but acts to enhance the vitality of small towns and also reward those who live there, countering the risk of abandonment ".
The original name, which is found for the first time in a document of 1115, was MonteFicalle, presumably of Etruscan origin, or more simply deriving from the abundance of Fico trees found on the hill. The Castle belonged to a noble family of Lombard origin; in the course of history it then belonged to the Ricasoli family, to Benci da Figline and finally to the Gherardini, a family originally from the Municipality of Greve in Chianti. Legend has it that Federico Barbarossa also passed through Monte Ficalle with his raids. During the thirteenth century, to emphasize its strategic importance and the Florentine became the seat of the League of Val di Greve. In the 1260, after the battle of Montaperti in which the Sienese defeated the Florentines, it was the scene of an unexpected attack by a team of Ghibellines against a family of Guelphs who owned some houses in Montefioralle, near the Cassero. Between the '300 and the' 400 suffered the raids and struggles between the Great Municipalities of Tuscany to grab the border areas; in the 1325 it was besieged by the Troops of Castruccio Castracani and between the 1397 and the 1402 suffered the raids of Alberto da Barbiano.
The work of redevelopment and enhancement of the Municipality
The Municipality has focused over the years on the enhancement and recovery of the village and of the structures ideally connected to the village, located on the path that is followed to reach it: the Pieve di San Cresci and the Antico Spedale di San Francesco, today the Museum of Sacred Art. As regards the village of Montefioralle, in addition to the acquisition and restoration of the Watchtower, the municipal administration carried out other important interventions thanks to the support of the Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze Foundation and in agreement with the Superintendency for Artistic, Historical Heritage and Florence Architectural. In particular, the recovery and consolidation of a large part of the ancient city walls, the restoration of a portion of the pavement near the north gate, as well as the local stone repaving of the church of Santo Stefano. In addition, the Slow Road project, the Chianti art streets, a historical naturalistic and artistic route created in collaboration with the cultural association La Macina di San Cresci, with the involvement of the Tuscany Region, of the University of Florence and some artisan terracotta companies located between Greve in Chianti and Impruneta. The goal is the enhancement of the territory through some contemporary art interventions along the circuit that unites Greve, the Museum of San Francesco, the village of Montefioralle and the Pieve di San Cresci.